New Xero login process
From Tuesday 20 April 2021 the way in which users log into Xero has changed. All Xero users will now need to set up and use multi-factor authentication (MFA) to log into Xero.
What is MFA?
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) strengthens security by requiring that users provide at least two pieces of evidence, or authentication factors, to prove their identity. By requiring multiple authentication factors, MFA provides a higher level of assurance about the user’s identity. Even if one of the factors has been compromised, the chances that all of the factors have been compromised are low.
How to set up MFA for Xero
- You will need to download ‘Xero Verify’ on your smartphone or tablet.
- Once you have downloaded this, log in to your Xero account with your username and password. A screen will then prompt you to set up multi-factor authentication. If it does not, go to ‘Account’ under your initials in the top right, and select ‘Set up’ next to multi-factor authentication.
- Click on ‘Set-up multi-factor authentication’.
- Select the Xero Verify option by selecting ‘Use Xero Verify’. A QR code will then appear on the next screen.
- You will now need to go into the Xero Verify app that you have downloaded, and click on ‘Scan QR Code’. You will need to allow the app to have access to your smartphone camera so that you can do this. The camera will then appear, and you will need to scan the QR code that is on the screen.
- After the QR code has been scanned, allow Xero to send you notifications.
- Xero Verify is now set up on your device.
- Return to your desktop to complete the setup, by clicking on ‘continue’ on the screen where the QR Code was showing.
- You will need to setup a backup email address, or alternatively you can set up a backup security question.
- To set up a backup email address, enter an email address that is different to the one you use to access your Xero account. Then click on ‘continue’. This address will only be used if you lose your phone.
- You will then be sent a confirmation email to the backup email address that you provided. Copy the code from the confirmation email, return to Xero and enter the code. Click on ‘continue’, and the setup is now complete.
- Click on ‘continue to Xero’ to access your Xero account.
Next time you log in after MFA is set up
- Enter your user name and password as normal, then sign into Xero
- Xero will then confirm that it has sent a notification to your smartphone
- On your smartphone, click on the notification and select ‘Yes, it’s me’.
- Once you have done this, you will have access to your Xero account on your desktop.